The husband must love his wife in an understanding way. Sometimes wives may be difficult to understand because of their mood swings, most specially when they have their monthly period. Sometimes they are difficult to understand because they are emotionally weaker as the Bible states. Whatever case may be, husbands are to love their wives in an understanding way.
Here are some practical tips:
1. Verbalize it. God considers it a given that men love their wives. The problem is that even as men do love their wives, they do not express it and that's the reason why husbands usually hear their wives asking; "Do you still love me?" Men should make saying "I love you" a lifestyle. These are the words however that women crave for that they might have assurance. "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them." Colossians 3:19 NIV
2. Satisfy the needs of your wife. Your wife has a variety of needs, which must be catered to. Ask your wife, "Are you happy with me?" "If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married." Deuteronomy 24:5 NIV
3. Protect her.
........*Physically, she may be doing more than what she is capable of doing so, like lifting up too heavy things.
........*Emotionally, criticism and expectations might be pressuring her too much.
4. Assist her in her chores and responsibilities.
5. Sacrifice for her. "But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife—" 1 Corintians 7:33 NIV
........*Sometimes you may have to put down the paper during breakfast if your wife wants you to listen to something.
........*Sometimes you may have to listen to her talk to you about the maid, which may not be that importantt o you.
The point is, you may have to deny yourself and do what she wants to do even if you're tired or even if it's the opposite of what you want to do.
6. Share your life. "Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love..." Ecclesiastes 9:9 NIV
........*Don't shut your wife out of your life- (your career, ministry, hopes, dreams, frustrations, etc.) Sometimes your wife might not know who you are because you don't open up.
........*Open yourself up to her advices and counsel.
7. Don't compare her with other women.
........*Some men compare their wives with others to challenge their wives, husband didn't realized that it is a "put-down" to the wives.
........*Give her allowance, consideration and forgiveness in areas where she is lacking. "The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." Hosea 3:1 NIV
8. Declare to her that next to Christ, she takes the first place.
........*Wives needs to know that she comes first ahead of your business, children, parents and hobbies.
........*She needs to know that you delight in her so that she'll have this sense of security.
9. Shower her with tenderness, chivalry and courtesy. "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them." Colossians 3:19 NIV
........*Don't embarras your wive in public by making cutting or insulting remarks about her. If there is a need to correct her, it must be done in private.
........*Be a gentle man in words and ways. Words must edify and be constructive, not destructive. Men should not be irritable and short-tempered.
........*Treat her like a jewel. How do you treat something that is priceless?
10. Be extravagant with grace and appreciations. "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." Proverbs 31:28 NIV
........*Recognize her when she makes effort to please you.
........*Never laugh or belittle the things that she does for you.
........*Appreciate her insights, ideas, questions and others.
........*Appreciate her even in areas were she outshine you.
Marriage is not a competition.
11. Be faithful to her.
CONCLUSION: This practical tips in showing love to your husband won't be practical if it won't be practiced.
Part 9 will be about the vital role of both husband and wife. Successful Marriage (part seven) can be found at my February 8th post. For advance study, listen to audio-sermon at Living Word Christian Ministries.