One of the things that my mother told me on her letter was that her legs itch a lot lately; that she have been trying to use hot water to stop it. It bothers me a lot because I know that using hot water does not helps, it even causes the skin to itch more. And by the way, my mother is diabetic. Right after I read that letter, I log on to my Yahoo Messenger account and leave an offline message to my sister to tell my mother to stop using hot water for her itchy skin, and to apply a lot of skin moisturizer instead.
So, why does the legs itch so bad if you are diabetic? I was really researching on this on behalf of my mother. I want to give her as much helpful tips and information I can gather to prevent her itchy skin.
Itching can be caused by a yeast infection, dry skin, or poor blood flow. When caused by poor circulation, it is prevalent in the legs. Using skin lotions can help your skin to remain soft and prevent this type of itching. Ask your health care team for the names of lotions they know will work. High blood glucose levels tend to cause dry skin and less of an ability to fend off bacteria. Infection can follow.
* Keep your skin dry and clean. Use powder to keep folds of skin dry.
* Avoid very hot baths and showers. Use moisturizing soaps if your skin is dry. Use a lotion that your physician suggests after bathing. Keep the skin between toes dry-no lotions there.
* Prevent dry skin. Use lotions especially in the winter.
* Treat minor cuts and scrapes immediately. Use soap and water only. Nothing else as it is too harsh. See your doctor right away for a major cut, infection, or burn.
* Use unscented soaps and mild shampoos.
* In winter months use a humidifier when the heat is on.
* Take care of your feet. See our article on the subject so that you know how to do this. If you can, visit a podiatrist on a regular basis.
* Keep the name of a dermatologist in your telephone book just in case you can not cure your skin condition.* Drink lots of fluids, such as water, to keep your skin moist and healthy.
* Wear all cotton underwear. It allows air to circulate
* Examine your body after washing to see if you have any of the skin conditions we listed. Let's keep infections at bay.
Okay. I'm so glad I found this information. I'll print this out and send a copy to my mother. It will be Mother's Day soon, I'm gonna send her a card on this Monday, and I will include a copy of this, too.