Sunday, April 5, 2009

Biblical Prayer (part 2)

I am happy that it is Sunday once again and can continue with these interesting series of Biblical Prayer. Having a healthy prayer life is very important in our lives. Prayer is my favorite Bible study topic. I hope you will find this post useful in your life.
ANSWERED PRAYERS - UNANSWERED PETITIONS
Not every petition is granted. Paul asked three times for deliverance from his "thorn in the flesh". God's answer to Paul directed him to find comfort in God's sufficient grace. Also God declared that His power is best seen in Paul's weakness. "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:8-9 NIV) God gave him problem to hinder his pride as Paul admitted that. He learned that petitions are sometimes denied in light of an eventual greater good: God's power displayed in Paul's humility.
.
Faith is the condition for answered petitions. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:24 NIV) Two extremes must be avoided concerning faith.
(1) With Jesus' example in mind we must not thing that faith will always cause our wishes to be granted.
(2) Also we must not go through the motions of prayer without faith.
.
Some believers do not received what they pray for because they pray from selfish motives. "You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (James 4:2-3 NIV) Prayers are also hindered by corrupted character or injured relationship. "Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers." (1 Peter 3:7 NIV)
CONCLUSION: We need to check our heart before we make our petitions.
.
This series is from my hand-out notes during our six months Church Membership Class in LWCM , Banilad, Cebu, Philippines. The class was conducted by our Senior Pastor Mel Caparros.

6 comments:

Denise said...

So wonderful my friend.

Unknown said...

thanks for checking in on me while i was hijacked by my muse!! i was wondering if you would mind sending in your question on writing to sitedandblogged@gmail.com subject ANNIE - im doing a writing column over there every wednesday and you asked such a great question i would like to give you credit!!! if you cant remember what you asked, its okay, i can go look it up in my comments :). xoxox... have a super special palm sunday... annie

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Hi Grace! Nice to hear from you again. You have a lovely study on prayer here. Thank you for praying for us out here, as I am sure you have. Yes, the fires are finally out (it took weeks) but the floods are still happening. The wet season is almost over and we do have water in the dams now which is a true blessing, even though many people's homes were flooded.

I trust all is well with you and your loved ones over there :)

Unknown said...

Tyank you dear Grace for your uplifting post today. I hope the Lord has Blessed your day.
Best wishes.
Lisa

iWalk said...

The god knows, and he will always help you, grace!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Awesome post Grace! Prayer is so valuable and important to understand. And it is true that unanswered prayers are sometimes the best. Your post is a blessing. Thank you Grace!