Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Indoor Garden

Yesterday was a good day. I mean, it was sunny and warm. I had decided to start with my new project which is the indoor garden. I have three empty pots, dirt and a little table to put them on. I went to my neighbor, whom I already asked permission to take some from her plants to start with my own. And this is it... my little indoor garden. I am looking forward to have more pots and more different kind of indoor plants, or maybe some cactus... whichever will come first.

I was not so sure how to do the re-potting, and so I had decided to search it on the internet and here is what I have found:

*You will need garden gloves, it don't have to be fancy - use disposable latex or rubber gloves. *Weather permitting, repot outside on the ground and that way you can be as messy as you want. If this is not an option use a large table, workbench, or on your kitchen sink area. Lay down a cheap plastic tablecloth on your work surface.
* Your container should have a hole(s) in the bottom. If you are using a large fancy container that is going to house your actual pot, put a garbage bag inside as a liner to protect it. If you have a bottom under your new pot, you may over water and it would run over into the large one.
*If you want, use a large spoon to scoop soil into pot. I like to use my hands.
*Spread out the roots on top of the soil and then add soil to fill pot. Make sure plant is centered. Press down soil around plant. Add water a little at a time until it starts coming out the bottom. Press down the soil again. You may need to add a little more soil after it starts leveling out. If available, spray outside of pot gently with water to clean it off.

*You can also lightly spray leaves.
*Put pot in saucer.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Enjoy your garden sweetie.