Friday, October 29, 2010

What Matters Most Is Godliness

I was so excited on my first day that I came back to work after a month of vacation to Philippines. Everybody greeted me “Welcome Back, Grace”. Although I wasn’t feeling physically ready to go back to work on that day because I haven’t fully recovered yet from being sick, but because my leave of absence was over, that is why I have to go back to work, and it wasn’t a bad day though.

I brought some native delicacies for everybody to try, and was glad that they loved it. I was also happy to see the post card that I sent for them from the Philippines on the bulletin board. It makes me feel that I was important to them. Everything was fine except of two things.

The Mexican houseman, (also the acting supervisor if the supervisor is not around) has been interested in me since few weeks after I started working there. He has been telling me that he likes me and that wants me to be his girlfriend, regardless that I am married. There were uncalled behaviors that I thought were harmless but were annoying, but because it weren’t too serious that can be considered as harassment, I thought it was safe to tolerate it and just keep my distance as much as possible. He is married, too, and had been away from his family for four years. I told him that he badly needed to visit his family to cure his loneliness. To my surprise, he did, while I was on vacation. I thought it was a good sign for my sake as well, but I was wrong. The very moment that he saw me again, he hugged me so tight and whispered on my ear how he misses me. I thought that was just normal. Everybody hugged me anyway, but not with a whisper. An hour after that, he just got the chance to have me all by himself and hugged me again, and told me that he wants me to go out with him in the next days to come. That was how it became frustratingly alarming to me. I can’t play on this kind of game. Nobody can play safe on this kind of game.

On that night, I pondered very well on it. I had decided to quit right away. It wasn’t that hard, because the task that they used to give me was no longer needed for awhile, and I was given a new task that was a treat to my health. Plus, I know I wouldn’t be happy doing that new task. As I said, it wasn’t that hard at all. I quit right away. No, they didn’t know the real reason.

Although I am aware that it is not that easy to find a new job, especially with the same rate that they gave me; although I know that quitting would negatively affect my employment history; but for me, what matters most is the godly living and the good health that brings peace of mind.

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.” (1 Timothy 6:6 NIV)

No comments: