Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Loom Knitting

Last Friday, I felt uneasy. I am not even sure if "uneasy" is the right word to describe it. I came from my work that day, and can't change my cloths to "house wear" because we need to go to Aunt Kathy's house in an hour to have dinner with them. I didn't feel like going online. I don't feel comfortable staying home if I don't wear a "house wear". Sounds silly, huh? I felt like I want to go somewhere... anywhere, just to go out from the house. I asked my husband to take me out, but he was not in the mood to go out. I insisted, and had no choice but to take me out.
.
The thrift store which is a mile away was the place that I believe will make me feel better after looking around. He took me there, he stayed behind while I went inside. I only had 10 minutes left before the store will close. I didn't know they close at 4:00 p.m. though.
.
I roamed around, trying to find something that I may like. I really need to bring home something with me. I was running out of time. On the last minute, I found this "thing". I don't know what it was called, but I know this is something for knitting. I don't know how to do it, but I believe I can figure it out through "You Tube". It was only .50 cents, so I bought it.
.
I came out from the store will smile in my face and excitement in my mind. I got a new "toy". I told my husband. I don't need to buy yarns. I got plenty of them in our house. So, the very minute we arrived in our house, I started working on it, figuring out how to use it. I thought I can do it all by myself, but I was wrong. I resigned. So, I went online to "You Tube It". It did not took me so long to learn how to do it. I followed the video and pretty soon enough, I was on my own. I made one black scarf already. Although there was some mistake on it, but I am happy about it because it was my first knitting project. I intent to keep, and yes, will make another one with hopes that it will be perfect this time.
.
It is through You Tube that I found out that this is what they call Loom knitting. It is an old art, recently become popular again. Looms come in a variety of shapes, including round, oval, and rectangular. Some have a single row of pegs, called single rakes; some have two rows of pegs, called double rakes. The size of the loom is a factor in how large a knit piece can be made on it. The gauge of the loom, or how far apart the pegs are from each other and how large they are, contributes to the size of the knit stitches and the thickness of yarn that works best on it.

No comments: