Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Ten Commandments & The Greatest Commandment

.... .&..
When it comes to spiritual things, I am richer than my husband, and in some sense, I am not proud of it. I want him to be as rich as I am. Note that I am only comparing myself with my husband, that is to say that I may not be as rich as those I go to church with. Spiritual richness can't be determine solely on how much you know the Holy Bible or how much you have studied it. You may have read the entire bible a few times already, but it is the personal experiences that made you wise and grow to spiritual maturity. He asked me few nights ago if I am following the Ten Commandments, and he finds my answer very enlightening.
.
The Ten Commandments was given by God to the world during the lawless age where crime and violence were increasing at a fearful rate because there was practically no respect for law or constituted authority among His people. It was God himself who wrote the Ten Commandments on the tablet and appeared to His people on Mount Sinai to give it to His people.
....."Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him." Exodus 19: 18-19 (for more information, I suggest that you read the entire book of Exodus.)
.
Although Jesus gave the "new" Greatest Commandment, it is wrong to proclaim that the Ten Commandments are being replaced, abolished or "done away". Ten Commandments was given by God to His PEOPLE for all the years.
.
Jesus gave this "new" commandment during the last night of His physical life on earth. He had—by teaching and example—already shown the disciples that keeping God’s commandments was simply an expression of love. To worship and obey God, allowing no other "gods", idols or anything else that comes in His place, to honor His name and keeping His day holy; summarizes the first four of the Ten Commandments into what Jesus called the "Greatest Commandment" that can be found in the New Testament; "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength". (Mark 12:30) The rest of the Ten Commandments which were from 5th to 10th were summarized into the second great commandment which is the "Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31)
.
Jesus did not abolish the Ten Commandments that were from Old Testament, He was only making it easier for us to remember or to follow the whole text, and condensed it into two commandments. It made sense to me. Does it to you?

No comments: