Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bad Heartburn

I have been suffering heartburn for three consecutive nights and today. I'm glad that I am off from work today, or else I would not be productive at all. I always had heartburn when we were still in Michigan because of the kind of food that were regularly serve during dinner: lots of green pepper and tomato sauces. It has been a year ago and I thought I was through with that nightmare until these past three nights. My husband made spaghetti on the first night, I ate a lot and it attacked after an hour. The second night was pizza and again, it attacked me after an hour. Last night I made a very spicy Gambas. I don't remember a worse heartburn attack than I had last night. It felt like a powerful hand choke me on my throat and rises up to the angle of my jaw. I felt like a very tight belt was around my breastbone. Believe me, I looked like a werewolf on the strike of the midnight.
.
Heartburn, according to Wikipedia, is a burning sensation in the chest, just behind the breastbone or in the epigastrium. The pain often rises in the chest and may radiate to the neck, throat or angle of the jaw. It is usually with regurgitation of gastric acid (gastric reflux) which is the major symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It however may also be a symptom of ishemic heart disease so concluding that it is heartburn prematurely may lead to misdiagnosis.
.
For occasional heartburn like mine, a couple of Tums or any antacid can help. If necessary, add a couple more. It won't hurt you. Be sure to remember what kind of food that causes the heartburn and avoid it temporarily or for good (if you can). Stay in an upright position or add an extra pillow when you have to lie down.

No comments: